Thursday 1 May 2014

The steeple hat...


"Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered." 1Cor 11:4-6.

Priests ought to keep an electric razor at the pulpit so that in the event of a fallen woman entering the church on Sunday morning she should be so shamed, according to the express words of Scripture. Is that too much to ask? I don't like those flimsy net curtain things (mantillas), through which you can still see the woman's head. I have always admired the conical hennin, popular at court in the 15th century. I think it looks very dignified indeed. Dare I hope for a revival of this, at the expense of the net curtain?

6 comments:

  1. I would not hold my breath on that particular fashion change... even a non-lacy snood or a wimple would be right out. Fashion just is not moving in that direction, and the "Sinéad O'Connor look" never really caught on.

    Concerning the razor thing... probably a bad idea. I think it would be seen as assault, which would lead to jail time in many jurisdictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely a mantilla is preferable on a woman's head to a pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would a woman wear a pair of pants on her head?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fashion? Why else would young men wear their pants down around their knees? ,,, which, for many, is closer to the seat of the awareness than the head. So, perhaps women or even men will someday wear pants on their heads.

    (Yes, yes... I know that you were playing with an ambiguity allowed by an ellipsis.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're not with the school of thought that says that men have to have short hair! A big revelation to me last weekend was seeing portraits of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, with beautiful grey curly hair. He lived in the 18th century but didn't wear a wig. It was his natural hair. As I don't wear a hat, I raise my locks to him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Fr. Anthony, yes, my hair is long and perhaps now more snow white than grey... although perhaps not entirely unlike the color of the hair on John W, whose image I see on this wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley

    He looks rather severe in that image. I look quite a bit like Santa Claus, so not all that impressive.

    However, I did trim up my beard since that profile photo, so I no longer look quite so much like Santa Claus or like an Orthodox patriarch. However, I did have a niece who loved me as Santa Claus, some years ago now. She is now grown and at university. I notice that your blog seems to be discontinued. Pity. Let me know if you decide to reactivate it or if you can recommend another blog on the same subjects. I am hiinakemenduro at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete